Saturday, March 24, 2018

First Post

Hey fam!

First post on this blog. Gonna try to do this every Saturday evening, but we'll see where this goes!

My name's Sarah. I'll be 24 in April. I grew up Presbyterian and now I'm becoming Catholic (and will be an official parishioner of Saint Francis of Assisi on March 31st!). This blog is a kaleidoscope of things: faith, food, life experiences, and more. You can peruse this, comment, share, like, or whatever floats your boat.

Over these past few weeks of the Lenten season, I've been reflecting on my personal relationship with Jesus, and my journey to becoming Catholic after growing up Presbyterian. One of the questions we've discussed in RCIA is, "Why am I becoming Catholic?" As a class, we've collectively reflected upon this, and I know I could write for ages on the subject. As the Easter Vigil approaches, I've come to acknowledge the fact that a few people aren't really happy that I'm doing this. My view on this is that people don't have to agree with me becoming Catholic, but everyone's spiritual journey is different and we need to respect that, rather than making fun of what we do not know nor understand.

As the question asks of me, "Why am I becoming Catholic?", it deserves a well thought-out response. I grew up Presbyterian, but I didn't really feel accepted or connected to the faith. As I got older, I looked into becoming Catholic in high school, but my parents told me to wait until after college so that I could discover more about myself and where I stood spiritually. As college progressed, Jesus constantly proved that He would be there for me when no one else was. After I completed my undergraduate degree, I went to a couple different churches - Presbyterian, Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and Contemporary. I didn't feel at home until I stepped into a Catholic church at Saint Francis of Assisi (the first of many Catholic churches that felt like home). It was something akin to a spark or a flame that stirred within my soul that I didn't feel before in my life, and I knew it was where I was meant to be. As I learned more about the Catholic faith, and saw how my two best friends supported me, I could feel that pull to become Catholic grow stronger.

While my faith grew stronger, I saw my parents grow further apart. I saw their faith diminish - their faith in each other, and moreover, their faith in God. As I became even more rooted in my faith and God's plan for my life, I listened to my parents question how I could know what was going to happen, and how I could be so sure of my Heavenly Father. How can I question my God - Who knows my very soul inside and out, and every thought before I think it - on Him not knowing the best plan for my life? How can I not trust Him when all I will have left of this world is Him?

Discovering the mysteries of the Catholic faith restored my soul (and continues to restore it daily). One of my favorite prayers is The Nicene Creed, which states,

                "We believe in one God,
                 the Father, the Almighty,
                 Maker of that is, seen and unseen.

                 We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
                 the only Son of God,
                 eternally begotten of the Father,
                 God from God, Light from Light,
                 true God from true God,
                 begotten, not made, consubstantial
                 of one Being with the Father.

                 Through him all things were made.

                 For us men and our salvation
                 he came down from heaven,
                 and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
                 and became man.

                 For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
                 he suffered death and was buried.

                 On the third day he rose again
                 in accordance with the Scriptures;
                 he ascended into heaven
                 and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

                 He will come again in glory to judge the living and the
                 dead,
                 and his kingdom will have no end.

                 We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
                 who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

                 With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

                 He has spoken through the prophets.

                 We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

                 We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

                 We look for the resurrection of the dead,
                 and life of the world to come. Amen."

                                                (Source - Catholic Online)

The Catholic Church and its practices are so beautiful - steeped in beautiful tradition, meaningful prayers, and majestical metaphors. You know something's right when you don't feel dread or embarrassment when you step into a church, but rather a strong sense of peace and calmness that seems utterly impossible to get anywhere else. You can feel present in the moment, rather than focusing on what you're doing after church or later that week. You're free to just "be", and that's honestly a feeling I never got in the Presbyterian church nor other Protestant denominations of faith. My parents don't have to understand that feeling, but the peace you get from God is inexplainable. It's so brilliantly beautiful, pure, and enchanting all at once. It's like a hug you've been waiting years to get, and it doesn't unwrap or retreat itself around you; instead, it pulls you in closer and makes you feel warm and safe and LOVED.

It's almost midnight, so I should be signing off now.

I hope you all have a blessed Sunday, and peace be with you!

~Sarah Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post

Hey fam! First post on this blog. Gonna try to do this every Saturday evening, but we'll see where this goes! My name's Sarah. I...